IPA Photo Workshop: From Image To Story
17-18TH DECEMBER 2016: OPEN FOR REGISTRATION.
This workshop by Invisible Photographer Asia (IPA) is designed for photographers wishing to work on a photo project or have a body of work or portfolio, and facilitators who work with photography and are interested in storytelling with images. Over two intensive days, participants will learn valuable insights with regards to working on a photo project or portfolio – aesthetics, language, self-critique, editing and curating their photographs to better narrate and communicate voice and vision.
Stories come in all shapes and shades, literal and metaphorical. They can be a documentary of a place, people, person or plight; street photographs observing public life; an abstract meditation on memory, mood or emotion; or even a retelling of personal history through family photos and archives. What is your story? And your language to tell that story?
This workshop is open to participants working in all genres of photography practice and approach, and of varying experience. While not compulsory, it is recommended that participants have a 'body of work' or portfolio of photographs to examine during the workshop. Works and projects can be new, work-in-progress or completed.
Who should attend?
This workshop is suitable for photographers with a portfolio or photo project, or wish to start on one, and also storytellers or communications executives interested in the medium of photography and the creative use of visual narration.
"In addition to being an expert photographer, Kevin is a master teacher in every sense. He seems to have a real sense of what works in terms of the necessary balance between explicit teaching, practice, collaboration and feedback; he facilitates in a manner that truly sets his students up for success." Joshua VanLare, US/Myanmar.
"I found knowledge that I gained in the workshop to be really helpful for me – to look at pictures from different perspectives before connecting those pictures to a story. I believe this will help me a lot in future as a photographer and also in understanding other photographers' works." Hasnoor Hussain, Malaysia.
"The From Image To Story Workshop helped me greatly in better understanding the purpose and craft of editing. I realised how big a difference editing makes, and how to better edit. Kevin’s knowledge and insightful suggestions made it a great experience." Faisal Fazalbhoy, Singapore.
- Participants are requested to bring a project, series or body of work (portfolio) in a wide selection of photographs, at least 30 images.
- Participants are requested to bring PRINTS (Approx. 4R/4" x 6" size or larger) and JPG files of their images for review and editing. PRINTS do not have to be of exhibition quality.
DAY 1, Saturday 17th December:
- Workshop Orientation and Lecture on Working on Photo Projects
- Photo Editing 101 Lecture
- Group Editing Exercises: Photo Essay – Linearity and Logic
- Participants’ Portfolio and Project Review and Critique – Aesthetics, Language and Intent
DAY 2, Sunday 18th December:
- Group Editing Exercises: Personal Project – Non-linearity and Intuition
- Final Group Critique, Edit and Review of Participants’ Projects and Portfolio
- Participants will then have the opportunity for additional photography to add to the edit and/or focus on editing down their projects or portfolios and submitting for final review and critique